DIY Tufted Upholstered Bed

Friday, January 16, 2015

Happy 2015 y'all! I can't believe another year past by, and I hope for a good one this year for all of us! Here I am again, starting a new year with a D.I.Y. post! lol 

This bed(picture below) is the one I drooled over before, but the price is not suitable for me! Haha. If I think I can D.I.Y. it. I will try my hardest..of course, with the help of my incredible partner.

Here is my Inspiration:
These beds are tag price for $400 up to $1,000+ ..not including shipping & taxes. Well, the one I really wanted was priced at $800 plus shipping & taxes from joss & main, which is not that bad but still. Lol. I've decided to just make it ourselves and save the money for the upcoming Holiday season!! (oh yeah, the Christmas shopping!!) Yup, we did this before Christmas time. 
Anyways, we haven't done anything with the Master bedroom since we moved here, you know, as for paint & bedroom furniture. I thought to myself, it's time to make our bedroom look like one! Haha, no, seriously. If I still need to move that two Ikea drawers as side drawers and if I didn't add that lamp & frames for decor..it is just the bed itself in our bedroom. lol

Here is the B E F O R E  picture:


A F T E R :


Back to how we've done it! I purchased a 5/8" plywood and cut it down to 56x84".
I measured where I wanted the tufts to go; as you can see in the picture, I drew it with a pencil, so I knew where precisely I'll drill that hole. (I did a diamond shape) I placed the tufts to better understand what I was doing.


I got the foam topper queen size and cut it to size.

   

Then, I drilled the foam too. 


Then I put the batting for a more comfy feel.


I just realized I didn't have a picture when I was doing the tufting! I only got this picture. I carefully tried to find the hole I drilled and used an upholstery needle to insert the thread.


I did the cover buttons with this Dritz craft cover button kit I got from Walmart.

 

It's easy! But when you make 14 or more of those. Haha, I don't know..your thumbs probably gonna tell you to stop! lol (but I used a rubber hammer to help secure it.) I got to say to you I ran out of fabric and then went back again..geez!! They have different upholstered fabric, the wrong fabric!!
For the nail trims, I tried the strip ones; I really didn't like them compared to the one I used here.



We also got a plywood cut to 72x13" for the side of the bed. Before placing the fabric, I wrapped it with batting for a cushy feel.

 

Then I stapled the fabric. I got the material at Joann's, chosen by my hubby.

 

We assembled it inside the bedroom; since we have King size, it will be hard for us to bring the bed frame from the garage up to the third floor. Does it make sense? lol


My hubby secured it with these metal plates and also to hold it. Put down the bed slats for support.


 And more support. I forgot to stain the legs dark, though. As for the total expense, I will get into it as soon as possible. It was only $300+! Yes! $300+ for an upholstered King size bed? I'll take that!! I have to find the receipt to list the budget breakdown.

Here is our version of the tufted bed:


What do you think? Thanks for reading! Again Happy New Year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top