Our Ikea Hack Mudroom

Sunday, September 7, 2014

I have always dreamed of having a Mudroom since I went to Norway. I just fell in love with the Scandinavian Style. This townhouse doesn't have a mudroom or closet near our entrance, so my imagination kicks in!! I really wanted to add a mudroom in the basement! Of course, I can only do this with my hubby. (Sometimes, I'm just the designer/planner, and he gets it done, really! haha) This is the biggest project we've ever done in the house, along with the basement makeover. 



Project Mudroom begins:



We took out the carpet & then the baseboard, cleaned the surface then, layout some tiles, then cut & grouting, etc. (with got help from my brother-in-law)



After finishing the tiles, our next step is to build a closet. (I was inspired by this Ikea Hack.)

We went to Ikea & bought only the sliding (mirror) door of this wardrobe(picture below). Why did we just not buy the whole thing? For the door & the base will run you $884 plus taxes. It only includes some of the rods & drawers or the shelf inside! Boo!! We actually considered buying it just to get it done! Ha! (smh) but when we realize how much all the shelves & drawers we wanted to go with that closet, we might end up paying more than a thousand buckaroos for it. So off we go with the sliding door that cost half of it! We spent like $400+.. so we saved a couple of hundred right there, honey.


Then back to our original plan! Build that Closet!! This is how it was constructed:


Then as you can see, we put the Sliding (Mirror) door. What a Perfect fit, right?
We put up the drywall, then patch it, so we can start painting it!


This is the view from the back.


After we painted it:

 


And this is what we did inside the closet, so we could fit all our winter coats. We don't have to go all the way up just to get our coats & other winter accessories! It is right where I want it to be :) The other side is where my kid's winter jackets are. 

So that is our DIY Mudroom :)



This is the hook I used :
Here are the updates I've done so far :


I added some artwork, painted the walls gray owl by Benjamin Moore & added a runner from Target. I also spray paint the door knob black (soon to post). But still, need to change the lighting! Will update more in our mudroom. I'm 85% here in progress. 


Key hooks from Target, which were designed by my fave blog YHL

I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top