DIY Headboard Tutorial

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

So here is my easy-peasy DIY Headboard tutorial..well it's not only easy but also affordable. All you need is your time and effort to do this thing..of course, a little bit of money! Hehe. I used the drop cloth for the fabric because I still have like 2 yards left over from the basket liner project .. so why not use it?! I gathered all my supplies and checked which I still needed to buy at the store. Hmm, I still needed a lot of materials. 


So I went to Home depot. I bought a piece of 5/8-inch thick plywood cut down to 65"x36". I had them cut it to the middle so it would fit in my SUV. I also took with me all the leftovers from the whole thing. 


When I came home. I called my hubby (to do the hammering/ nailing for me). We used the scrap to hold the plywood together.


And we used a saw to cut two 17-inch plywood from extra pieces to use as legs. After that, I measured the sides, left an inch mark for spacing for the Nailhead trims then cut the foam according to the size I did. I used a foam topper instead of the custom size you get at Joann's and online. I bought mine at Walmart because it was much cheaper. I glued the foam to the plywood so it won't move.

   
This is the Headboard assembled all together with the batting & foam stapled down. I doubled mine since one foam is just not too cushy for us. It's a personal preference! Well, it depends on how thick you want to go with your foam.

 
Here's the front view..with the foam and batting for a soft & comfy headboard:


So, before I stapled the drop cloth. I washed it first and then ironed it. Don't skip this part! It is essential. 

Here's the front view:


After I'm done with all the stapling part..(oh boy, I'm telling you! you are gonna use many staples!) It's time for the hammering part! Which I also got at Walmart.



I left an inch of space for the nailhead trim because it won't hold it if I pushed it through the thick foam. The nails are 2 inches apart. I worked all the way to both sides. I didn't go around since the bottom part was not visible, and besides, my hands were so tired from all the nailing.



And there! I'm finished! Whew! 

B E F O R E :

A F T E R :


Better with the Headboard, right? 

As for the budget breakdown:

Plywood (total is $26, but I got a $10 gift card plus tax): $23
Batting (queen size): $11.97
2 Foam Topper (Full size): $23.74 ($11.87)
Glue Spray: $8.97
4 packs of Nailhead trims: $5.48 ($1.37 each)
Heavy-duty Stapler & staples (owned): $0
The fabric, which is the Drop cloth (I have one already): $0

Total spent: $73.16!

Compare this to the one I wanted at Target here and other stores that sell Headboard priced in the $200 - $400 range. I'll take the latter, please! So any Guests want to sleep over? lol.

Thanks for reading! Happy Thanksgiving to you all! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top