Tarva Dresser Makeover

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ikea Hack time ;) I just super love that store! Even if it means driving 51 miles south! We bought the Tarva dresser, which I use as a console table at the moment (I might move it to the Master bedroom once we change the floor upstairs).

This is the first time I have painted a piece of furniture. Like seriously, I haven't painted furniture in my entire life! I watched tons of "How to paint furniture" on Youtube and read tons of blogs about it. I found a couple of terrific blogs & some inspiration. 

And then I went on to do my first furniture makeover!


I still sand it, but only lightly with fine sand grit paper, and then I put the primer. I used Zinsser primer (oil based) and then let it dry when it was dry. I went ahead and put the second coating. After it was all dry, I lightly sanded it again and then put an off-the-shelf white paint with a glossy finish. 

As for the drawers, I used a stain which is dark oak first and then the weathered gray stain, I was going for a driftwood look to at least match the dining table, but it didn't turn out the way I like it to be, but yeah I guess it's ok it's my first time right? I learned a lot from this project! Then I changed the hardware. I bought cabinet knobs at home depot and just screwed them in! Then for the last part, I put polyurethane for protection and a finishing touch, so it would look shiny like a pro did it! Haha, I make it sound so easy, right? Well, it's not that hard, but I did have some problems while I was doing it, like the staining; I put two different color stains, that's probably why it didn't turn out the way I like it to be. Smh, and you gotta have a lot of patience. lol

So, don't be scared to repaint your furniture. After all, if you didn't like the outcome, you can always repaint it! 


B E F O R E + A F T E R :

We spent around $250, including all the materials needed. Wow! Right? Instead of paying 800 dollars console table that we are eyeing at Ashley's furniture store. Now, I'm going for more projects! lol 

Thanks for reading & have a good day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top